Wednesday, February 16, 2011

About Communication

From the podcast project, I expect (in general) to learn more vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure.  I hope to learn how to fluidly communicate in Japanese, using a more natural cadence, syllabic emphasis, and pronunciation.  I think I will learn new grammar patterns and put learned ones into practice.  By using more Japanese, I hope to improve my listening and comprehension skills as well.

Since my group's podcast is about landmarks, food, and parks around Columbia's campus through the eyes of city wildlife animals, I hope to learn about how Japanese view city wildlife.  I am also interested to find out more about Japanese culture and the differences in comparison to New York City culture.

Communication is a sharing of ideas.  It can take many forms besides language.  In our podcast, our main form of communication will be through speaking Japanese, but our ideas can be communicated visually and physically as well.  The main goal of communication is discovery.  Good communication can leave us with a new thought, purpose, or idea that is provoking.  It inspires thought, emotions, or future decisions.
 
My group discussed communication as a gain of a broader and deeper understanding of other individuals and cultures through exchange of ideas.

4 comments:

Xiao said...

For your topic, I think it would be really cool to also include the communication between animals and human beings, since you are adopting a perspective from animals~

Patrick Woods said...

I think it is very interesting to consider the differences in how Japanese and Americans (or at least New Yorkers) consider city wildlife. I remember visiting the Ueno Zoo in Tokyo (not that that really counts as wildlife) and being very intrigued at the cultural differences in how Japanese reacted to viewing the animals compared to my experiences in America.

I also agree that communicating our ideas physically and visually in addition to verbally through our podcast project is a valuable communication tool. Although our Japanese may not be the best right now, we can bridge the gap with physical and visual cues that convey what our language intends to say.

Gillian said...

Xiao-san's idea is interesting too. Our project really is all about communication--between humans and animals, and between us and our audience. I really want to communicate some things that people may not already know, and learn some new things myself

ピーター said...

I like your ideas in that third paragraph: "the main goal of communication is discovery." It's true: via communication we discover new ideas, new things about people, and new ways of thinking.

Looking forward to this city wildlife podcast, it looks pretty cool. がんばって ね!